RuLiza Thwaites cottege

Post questions and answers here

RuLiza Thwaites cottege

Postby emudd » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:08 pm

In the 1940's our family used to rent Ruth E Thwaites cottage. We called her RuLiza. I do not think that she was ever married and she was quite a character. A snapshot was taken in 1948 with one of my older brothers - George. We were along Gunnerside Gill with Ru Lisa helping her with chopping wood. However, I found it too complicated to post. She would climb a tree faster than we could and wail her axe to chop down branches. Happy times in Gunnerside and the dale. We loved it. I wonder if anyone can help me with the name of her cottage. I seem to remember "Greenleigh" for some reason, but I am not sure if that is correct. My other three brothers cannot remember the name either. All the best, Eric
emudd

Postby admin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:08 pm

Hi Eric,

Hello and welcome to the Gunnerside message board. Thanks for taking the trouble to send in your memory of RuLisa and Gunnerside. If you can email the snapshot image to me I'll see if I can add it to your message.

This, hopefully, is an image of 'Greenleigh' which might look familar even after all this time.

Regards, Michael Connolley

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:40 pm

The following reply was received from Eric with photographs

Thank you for the photo of RuLisa's home. Yes, indeed that is the place where we had many happy memories. I have attached two photos, one with my elder brother George, helping RuLisa chop and carry wood along Gunnerside Gill - taken in 1948.

The other is a photo of Dad and I which I believe was taken in Gunnerside in 1965.

All the best, Eric
admin
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum