Bents House, Whitaside, Low Row

Post questions and answers here

Bents House, Whitaside, Low Row

Postby joss » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

I would be most interested if any one has any information regarding Bents House at Whitaside.

Thanks Joss
joss

Postby admin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 am

Christine Amsden's transcription of the 1871 census at
http://www.dalesgenealogy.com/census/grinton_71.html shows
Bents House
71. METCALFE Marmaduke/Head/U/57/Gamewatcher/NRY/Whiteside
METCALFE Mary/niece/U/31/Housekeeper/NRY/Whiteside
admin
Site Admin

Bents House

Postby joss » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks for this, I had found this yesterday which is what led me to this site

Joss
joss

Bents

Postby dianemel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Is this known as High Bents overlooking Crackpot moor? If so I have an old photo of it.
dianemel

Re: Bents House

Postby joss » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks for this, but I believe that High Bents is the otherside of Gunnerside on the road leading to Gunnerside Lodge. Bents House is High on the otherside of the Swale overlooking Low Row to the North and Crackpot to the West. It is the ast house on high lane. Anyone know what Bents might refer mean
joss

Postby PERCE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 am

I'm assuming we're talking about the Bents that has just been on the housing market that overlooks Crackpot from the south side of the dale.

From a friend:- It seems to be a Northern English term for old, stiff-stalked grasses, or land where such grasses grow (I refer to pp. 805/806 of Volume I of the 1933 Oxford English Dictionary)

Now I know that moor grass is referred to locally as benty grass, so I'm guessing that a house know as Bents will be somewhere at the point where the pastures stop & the moors start. So Bents may mean at the edge of a moor.
PERCE
Forum Regular

Re: Bents House

Postby PERCE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 pm

joss wrote:Thanks for this, but I believe that High Bents is the otherside of Gunnerside on the road leading to Gunnerside Lodge. Bents House is High on the otherside of the Swale overlooking Low Row to the North and Crackpot to the West. It is the ast house on high lane. Anyone know what Bents might refer mean

The Bents (Which could be High & Low) are above Gunnerside or Lodge Green to be strictly correct, access via the electric gate adjacent to The Mount. (ok so it's now called High Rowleth for some reason) They're on the left hand side of the road after passing Modesty. Just not quite in view on this picture. http://www.gunnerside.info/Gunnerside_V ... _View.html
PERCE
Forum Regular

Return to Main Forum