Percival Brothers (Coaches) Ltd

Post questions and answers here

Percival Brothers (Coaches) Ltd

Postby admin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:22 am

A new web site has been set up to record details of the Percival Brothers coach company which operated from 1937 until 1971.

If you have any information or memories of this (or any other Swaledale motor-bus company) the web site researchers would like to hear from you.

http://www.percivalbros.com
admin
Site Admin

PERCIVAL BROTHERS

Postby PERCE » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:01 am

This isn't quite the case - the web site is IN THE PROCESS of being set up (and incidentally we were running coaches prior to 1937).

However, right now one of our main priorities is getting in touch with PAULINE LEE, daughter of BILLY and ALICE BURRILLS who used to have the tea room on the corner - if anyone could help us on this we'd be very very grateful.
PERCE
Forum Regular

Postby Catkin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:31 am

The Percival Brothers web site mentioned above seems to have been taken over by advertisers but anyone interested in the bus company might find a forthcoming talk at the Swaledale Museum in Reeth interesting.

12 August 2009 7.30 pm, ‘The Bus Up the Dale - The Story of Percivals’ with Reuben Frankau

http://www.swaledalemuseum.org/index.html
Catkin

Postby PERCE » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 am

I think Rueben has forgotten to put his shilling in the meter, he's been spending far too much of his time trying to reverse a bus down into Paradise.
PERCE
Forum Regular

Postby tally » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:32 am

I have not been able to find the "Percivals" website, but I do remember the coach company. I lived in Barningham in the late fifties early sixties and it was on a Percivals Coach that I made my way to school each day.

Our main driver was Jeff Percival and I can safely say we hardly ever missed a days school, I don't know what it was with that man but adverse weather conditions never seemed to stop him and his bus. There were various hills on the way to Richmond which we hoped might mean a trip home, I can only remem ber turning back once!!!! We did get a full week off in I think it was 1963, but then the whole village was cut off with drifts at wall level on both approaches to the village. Is it just me, or don't we get snow like that anymore
tally

Postby PERCE » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Here's the link http://www.percivalbros.com/ it doesn't exactly work much but at least Reuben explains what's been going on.
Glad my Father got you to school whether you wanted to get there or not. :lol:

James
PERCE
Forum Regular

Postby PERCE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:00 am

Reuben has currently a couple of 'wants' for his research:-

Percival website quote:-

One of the major obstacles to progress with the bus book - apart from the various personal and domestic traumas alluded to above - has been the continuing elusiveness of the only child of one of Percival's longest-serving and best-loved drivers, Billy Burrells. Billy was not originally from Swaledale, and at the end of the 1960s he and his wife Alice moved away: hence, there is no family in the vicinity. Billy and Alice Burrells had a daughter, Pauline, who maintained contact with various locals for many years; but we all know how easy it is to lose touch with friends as time goes on, and this is just what seems to have happened. DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE PAULINE IS NOW? Or, better yet, are you, Pauline, reading this? If so, please please please get in touch.

The idea is to include a few details on the individuals who made Percival's the local institution that it was. Billy Burrells was undoubtedly one of these, and in order to be able to do him justice, we'd very much like to speak to Pauline. Please use the red box to the right marked "Contact Us" to get in touch about this or any other matter.

Reuben is also looking for a copy of the second made for American TV films which starred John Alderton & used Reeth as it's Darrowby. The film was this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079353/ & for some reason doesn't get an airing on any of the satelite channels. A loan of a copy in any format would be appreciated.
PERCE
Forum Regular

Return to Main Forum