My Gunnerside Family Tree

Post questions and answers here

My Gunnerside Family Tree

Postby Daniel » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:15 pm

Hello everybody.

I am currently trying to trace my family tree and my grandma's maiden name was ALTON.

This has led me back to Gunnerside and her father was born their. (GORGE ALTON - DOB - 1858 App.)

I have managed to trace his father who was also called GEORE ALTON ( DOB - 1824 - App.) Married to ROSEMOND ALTON (DOB 1829 app.)

From the 1881 census I know both father and son were living at SHAW HOUSE - Melbecks. (Is this in gunnerside or outside of the village?.)
(Does anybody know if the house still exists?)
They both worked in the lead mines at this time.

My Grandma's Father then married and moved to Keighley (West Yorks). Which is where I am from.

If you have any details of the Alton family going back further then I would love to here from you. I plan to take a trip upto Gunnerside soon and would like to know as much as possible before I visit so I can make good use of my time.

Many Thanks
Daniel

Shaw House

Postby admin » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:41 pm

Daniel,

Shaw House is, or was, about half a mile ENE of Gunnerside Village. I'm not sure if it is still occupied. Melbecks is the civil parish - it isn't a single location.

We have someone interested in early ALTONs on the web site Interests page. It might be worth contacting them if you haven't already done so.

Good luck with your search.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Bagenal » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:30 pm

Daniel,
I know a great deal about the Altons and Shaw House. I can send you information by post if I have your address.
T. Bagenal,
Gilcruce,
Gillinggate,
Kendal LA9 4JB
Bagenal

Postby Daniel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:13 pm

Mr Begenal

My address is as follows.
5 Cumberland Street, Skipton, North Yorkshire , BD23 2NL

Thank-You for any help you can give.
Daniel

Return to Main Forum