Mary Harker picture and Ruth Harker postcards

Post questions and answers here

Postby BOWMAN » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:52 pm

Dear Michael and Cathy,
I wrote to you some weeks ago about the Mary Garget (Harker} picture and sent a copy of the family tree.

I have with me today Marjorie Holsman, my first Cousin once removed, and we have been looking at the Ruth Harker postcards. I am pleased to inform you that we have a positive family links with Mary Harker and
Ruth Harker would have be Marjories mothers cousin and my Grandfathers Cousin.

There has been a Ruth in the family for many generations, Marjories mother and granddaughter are both named Ruth.

THOMAS HARKER BORN 1857 FATHER OF RUTH HARKER.
Please find attached family tree file.

Marjorie wrote to Thomas Harker at Paynes Farm about 1970 to research family history but received no reply. ( He would have passed away by then)
My great grandfather Joseph occasionally helped out on the farm, probably in the 1940's and Thomas Harker and the address of Paynes farm are written inside the Harker family bible.

The Bible was a prize to Joseph Harker from Gunnerside Sunday School. Dated August 16th. 1874

We would be interested in the source of the postcards and any possible Harker family links.
Majorie and her husband and my wife and I intend to visit Gunnerside in May and would like to try visit the remains of Pier (pear) House which was at one time the family home.

Best Wishes

John Bowman
BOWMAN

Postby admin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:40 am

John,

Many thanks to you and Marjorie for the Harker information and family tree.

The postcard source had no connection with the family at all but we have recently made contact with a grandson of Sydney, Ruth Harker's brother, and, through him, a grandson of Ruth's brother, John Ralph. We're hoping that we might be able to obtain a photo of the Harker family at Heugh Farm.

Hopefully, we'll be able to compile all the information (including some from Christine Amsden and Tony Owen) for additional web pages on the Harkers of Heugh Farm.
admin
Site Admin

Great to hear that you have found more Harkers.

Postby BOWMAN » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 pm

Very exiting to hear that you have been in contact with others who are linked to Mary Harker and Ruth Harker.

We have good reason to believe that Ralph Harker, the nephew of Mary may have visited her in Iowa. But that's a story for later. In the meanwhile I have mailed scans of the Family Bible and photographs of Joseph Harker to Micheal for inclusion on this web site.

You are invited to a preview of some of our Harker family photographs on the following link.

http://www.pbase.com/bowman/harker_family_photographs

John Bowman
BOWMAN

Postby admin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:08 pm

John,
Thanks to Gordon Harker, son of John Ralph Harker who was a brother of Ruth Harker of Heugh Farm, Satron Side, we have been able to post two family pictures on the web site at
http://www.gunnerside.info/Archives/Harker_Postcards/Harker_Postcards_family.html

One photograph features Ruth and her brothers at Heugh Farm and the other shows Sydney, Anthony and John Ralph.
admin
Site Admin

RUTH HARKER POSTCARDS

Postby lynn harker » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi John,
I have reading the messages about Ruth Harker.
I am the granddaughter of John Ralph who lived at Paynes Farm when he was a child.I have been very interested in the Joseph Harker Bible and the postcards.I am also keen to know more about Joseph Harker's family.
I remember Greataunt Ruth as a child.

Lynn
lynn harker

Hi Lynn, Nice to hear from you.

Postby BOWMAN » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi Lynn,
So nice to hear fom another long lost Harker, our cousin Marjorie will be thrilled.

We visited Gunnerside in May of last year and spent a very nice day with Cousins James and Joan Percival, visiting the old family homes and exchanging family information. I took dozens of photographs and copied them to CD, perhaps you would like a copy.

I also promiced James a copy but seem to have lost contact with him, hopefully he will read this and reply.

We arranged a second family get to-gether in August with Marjorie, meeting cousins Dorothy & Julie.

As I am not sure who of the family you are in contact with or how much of the Harker family history you already know may I suggest you email me a contact number and we can have a chat.
My private email is j900bow@onetel.net

All the best
John Bowman.
BOWMAN

RUTH HARKER POSTCARDS

Postby lynn harker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:50 pm

Hi John
Thank you for the reply.
I will be in touch soon

Lynn
lynn harker

RUTH HARKER POSTCARDS

Postby lynn harker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi John,
I am having a problem sending you an email.
Could you send me an email
Speak to you soon

Lynn
lynn harker

Return to Main Forum