George Guy and Elizabeth Adamthwaite

Information about particular Swaledale families

George Guy and Elizabeth Adamthwaite

Postby wifey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 pm

George Guy born circa 1680, maybe earlier, married in 1705 (Ravenstonedale) Elizabeth Adamthwaite daughter of Richard Adamthwaite born 1660 probably Ravenstonedale and Mary Middleton (1651-1713) of Sedbergh Westmoreland. Richard and Mary only had, as far as I can find, one other daughter Margared born in 1687 Ravenstonedale. Mary Middleton has some very distinguished men in her paternal line including knights and barons going back to Middleton Hall in Westmorland and her maternal line through the Cole family go back to Coat in Lancashire. Further back in the Middleton line is a Mary Carus daughter of Sir Thomas Carus and Catherine Preston of the Preston Patrick and Preston Richard Prestons and yet further back to Perth in Scotland:lol: They too have an amazing pedigree which all of George Guy and Elizabeth's children share. I'm currently working on another line which may include Plantagenet links :wink: Will be in touch again soon :)
wifey
Forum Regular

Re: George Guy and Elizabeth Adamthwaite

Postby carter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 pm

Stayed in Ravenstonedale last week and wish I knew this then. Researching my branch of the Guys, which tailed last year with the death of Sir Roland Guy. Sedburgh historical society has will of Elizabeth Nelson (nee Guy) where in fear of the plague in 1610 she disposed assets to her brother Edmond and uncle. They farmed from Birkrigg (still there) a largish hill farm on the Sedbrgh /Hawes road in Garsdale (rather than Wensleydale).
Guys should not go to Lincolnshire as Rev James Guy did at Irby on Humber in 1730's, as there's something in the water there. He had 38 children. There must be a Guy family savant somewhere in the Dales, as they're prolific.
I'm particularly interested in detail of Galen Guy if you know anything, 1750 or 1800, as I have his portrait.
Delighted to share any info mc@deckhouse.cc is direct
carter

Re: George Guy and Elizabeth Adamthwaite

Postby wifey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:16 am

:o This is all very fascinating, thanks for the reply BTW, I had a hunch Garsdale may hold some more clues but I haven't had chance to get up there yet. It will need more investigation for sure in the future. Birkrigg seems to ring a bell maybe I went near there as a kid. How easy was it to find all your information if you don't mind me asking? :)
wifey
Forum Regular

Return to Swaledale Families