Britain's Favourite View

Post questions and answers here

Britain's Favourite View

Postby Catkin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:11 pm

I missed the edition of the TV programme called "Britain's Favourite View" which gives the best loved views in the UK of various well known people. I did discover, however, through a friend, that Lesley Garrett, the opera soprano's favourite view is in Swaledale.

From the ITV site:

But it is Swaledale, home to Yorkshire’s lead-mining industry for more than 2,000 years, which holds ultimate appeal for Lesley.

Its landscape, littered with spoil heaps, deserted mines and ruined buildings, visibly bears the scars of the 19th century mining boom. And, while mining eventually gave way to farming, Lesley finds one thing that has helped to maintain and preserve the character of the Dales – a true sense of community spirit, exemplified by the Muker silver band, that has remained resolute throughout the areas changing fortunes.

Finally, looking west from Gunnerside’s steep valley side, she explains why Swaledale’s majestic sweep ultimately deserves to be Britain’s Favourite View.

"I have loved the Yorkshire Dales all my life [and] have spent many happy hours here exploring its timeless beauty. It’s a place of remarkable beauty and it should be enjoyed and cherished by all of us.”

I certainly cannot disagree with her choice there. The view she speaks of is one I have seen a few times and it never fails to take my breath away.

This is the link to the ITV site:

http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/realit ... fault.html
Catkin

Return to Main Forum