Photographs of Strands

Post questions and answers here

Photographs of Strands

Postby iandickinson » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:05 am

Does anyone have, or know where I might be able to find, old photographs or even a painting of any of the buildings at Strands (North side of Dale near Gunnerside) ?

We have recently moved here and are interested to find out how the buildings have changed over the years.
Ian
iandickinson

Postby admin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Can't help with the old photographs but we recently found this advert in an old newspaper - Daily Advertiser, December 27th 1777.

To be Sold by Auction by Mr. SKINNER, On Friday the 23rd of January, at Garraway's Coffee-House, Change-Alley, Cornhill, at Twelve o'Clock, by Order of the Assignees of Mr. William KINLESIDE, A Compact COPYHOLD FARM, called STRANDS, near Gunnerside, in Swaledale, in the Parish of Grinton, occupied by Mr. Thomas Galloway; consisting of two Dwelling-Houses, with Gardens, two Cowhouses, and six Fields of rich Meadow Land, containing 20 Acres or thereabouts, within a Ring Fence, bounded South by the River Swale, and North by the Road from Gunnerside to Reeth, held of the Manor of Healaugh Newland, at a customary Rent of 4s 8d. and a Fine certain of 3l. 10s. To be viewed till the Sale.

Printed Particulars may be had on the Premises; at the Posthouse, at Richmond; Mr. Pratt's, at Reeth; Mr. Turner's at Gunnerside; Mr. Addison's, at Muker; at the Place of Sale; and of Mr. Skinner, Aldersgate-Street
admin
Site Admin

Photographs of Strands

Postby iandickinson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:27 pm

That is very, very interesting. Thank you for taking the trouble to let us know.

I wonder if you would mind giving me some advice about how I could go about obtaining a copy of the original?
Ian
iandickinson

Postby admin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:21 pm

The advert featured in at least three newspapers (Daily Advertiser, Gazetteer and New Daily Advertiser and Morning Post and Daily Advertiser) from Saturday, December 27, 1777 to Thursday, January 22, 1778.

The British Library offer photocopies at http://www.bl.uk/collections/copy.html and these appear to cost £15 per page.

The Daily Advertiser, Friday, January 9, 1778, Issue 14685, features a reasonably clear copy of the advert and I've downloaded a copy in Adobe format of this four page issue. If you have a broadband connection I can email the file - it's almost 2Mb. You could then see if that would suitable before you contact the BL. The Strands advert is on page four, first column, sixth item down.
admin
Site Admin

Photographs of Strands

Postby iandickinson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 am

Thank you very much. I will certainly contact the BL but having a look to start with would be excellent.

I do have a broadband - the best email address to handle that size of file is:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

but for 'belts and braces' could you also send to:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am very grateful for your help.

Ian
Ian
iandickinson

Postby admin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Ian,

Another Strands reference although not as interesting as the previous advert. This is from the Northern Echo, September 13 1877.

WANTED immediately, for Melbecks National School, Gunnerside, a CERTIFICATED MASTER. — For terms apply to Mr CLARKSON, Strands, Gunnerside, Richmond, Yorkshire.

admin
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum