Starling Castle, Keld

Post questions and answers here

Starling Castle, Keld

Postby sandy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:46 am

Starling Castle, Keld - Does anyone know if this house is still standing or indeed where it was in the village. On the census it seems to come between the Church and the Manse or in that region.

On the 1881 and 91 census my great grandmother is living there (Ann Alderson nee Rukin) with her daughter Margaret and son-in-law James Rukin. I would like to know more about it so I can possibly find it when I go over next.

Sandy
Sandy
sandy

Re: Starling Castle, Keld

Postby side-rider » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:40 pm

sandy wrote:Starling Castle, Keld - Does anyone know if this house is still standing or indeed where it was in the village. On the census it seems to come between the Church and the Manse or in that region.

On the 1881 and 91 census my great grandmother is living there (Ann Alderson nee Rukin) with her daughter Margaret and son-in-law James Rukin. I would like to know more about it so I can possibly find it when I go over next.

Sandy

My uncle Clarence Sinclair with his wife Nellie (nee Alderson) lived at Starling Castle but you may not be able to find it because it was renamed Starling COTTAGE. I last visited the house about 1990 and can tell you a bit more if you like?
side-rider
side-rider

Starling Castle (Cottage)

Postby sandy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for the response. In fact only a couple of weeks ago I actually managed to find it myself and yes the name has been changed. I would be interested in knowing more about it. My great-grandmother lived there with her daughter and son-in-law from about 1881 to circa 1910.
Thanks, Sandy :)
Sandy
sandy

Re: Starling Castle (Cottage)

Postby side-rider » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:52 am

sandy wrote:Thanks for the response. In fact only a couple of weeks ago I actually managed to find it myself and yes the name has been changed. I would be interested in knowing more about it. My great-grandmother lived there with her daughter and son-in-law from about 1881 to circa 1910.
Thanks, Sandy :)

Made a mistake calling my uncle Clarence for some reason, must have been thinking too much about my Grandfather and cousin who both have the name Clarence, my uncle was JOE Sinclair. My grandfather was minister at Keld from 1951 - 57, living in the Manse. When he vacated the Manse, Joe and Nellie along with son Clarence moved in and then went to Starling Cottage when the next incumbent came to the Manse. I hope that fills in some gaps for you? Did you go inside the house? It is a living room and separate kitchen downstairs with steep stairs winding up to 2 bedrooms and a bathroom above. My grandfather also had Tan Hill Colliery and my mother was born at Greenses. I was christened at Keld and my name appears on the Cradle Roll.
side-rider

Starling castle (cottage)

Postby sandy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 am

No I didn't go in because there was no one at home but I am interested that you lived there and that it was used by the retiring minister. My grandmother was married to a Thomas Alderson (miner) and they originally lived in Thorns. She was a Rukin and lived next door to her future husband. I am only able to trace back to his father another Thomas Alderson who married an Ann Fawcett but I cannot find which family either of them belonged to. However, it is nice to know that there is still a tangible link with Starling Castle and that it is still there.

Thanks for your help it has been appreciated.

Sandy
Sandy
sandy

Re: Starling castle (cottage)

Postby side-rider » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am

sandy wrote:No I didn't go in because there was no one at home but I am interested that you lived there and that it was used by the retiring minister. My grandmother was married to a Thomas Alderson (miner) and they originally lived in Thorns. She was a Rukin and lived next door to her future husband. I am only able to trace back to his father another Thomas Alderson who married an Ann Fawcett but I cannot find which family either of them belonged to. However, it is nice to know that there is still a tangible link with Starling Castle and that it is still there.

Thanks for your help it has been appreciated.

Sandy

You misunderstood me: I didn't live there, it was my uncle (mother's brother) and his wife and my cousin. The minister was my grandfather but he only lived in the Manse. My uncle stayed in the Manse till the new minister came but uncle was not a minister. Uncle went to Starling when new minister needed Manse.
side-rider

Return to Main Forum