Operation Gunnerside - Feb 1943

Post questions and answers here

Operation Gunnerside - Feb 1943

Postby Bob Pearson » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:21 am

Hello there,

I am currently, researching the Norwegian gold transport of April/May 1940 with a view to writing a book about the events. Sir Charles Hambro, a banker, was in Norway when the invasion happened - he escaped to Sweden. Sir Charles later became Head of SOE and helped instigate the Heavy Water raid in Rjukan - Operation Gunnerside.

By chance, does anyone know if Sir Charles Hambro had any connection with the village of Gunnerside or why the village lent its name to that operation? Any advice/guidance would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Bob Pearson - Ipswich
Bob Pearson

Postby PERCE » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:19 pm

If there is any links between the village & operation Gunnerside my guess is that Hambro would have some links to the Peel family. They were Lords of the manor & owned most of the land in the Gunnerside area which includes some of the best grouse shooting in the country. The fact another part of the operation was codenamed Grouse possibly adds to this idea.
Having said this I grew up in Gunnerside & as a War film & history etc. interested child no one ever mentioned anything or suggested anything like this to me.
The current Lord Peel (I actually think he's an Earl now) sold Gunnerside Estates some time ago but has retained an interest in the area by buying Grinton Estates.
PERCE
Forum Regular

Operation Gunnerside

Postby Bob Pearson » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:23 am

Dear Perce,

Many thanks for your reply. The answer you gave is highly probable as Sir Charles was in to grouse shooting. I must admit I have never heard of Lord Peel, but I am in contact with Sir Charles' step-daughter and she may well be aware of some connection. I had previously asked her if Gunnerside meant anything to her. She replied that the name was familiar from a long time ago, but cannot recall why.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to reply - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson

Return to Main Forum