Adam Brunskill - a book by Thomas Armstrong

Post questions and answers here

Adam Brunskill - a book by Thomas Armstrong

Postby Dave Reynolds » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi again

I was wondering if anyone could shed a bit more light on something that may relate to my family.

I am lucky enough to have a copy of a book called Adam Brunskill by an author Thomas Armstrong which was written in around the late 1940s to early 50s.

It is centred on the tale of a Lead Mining Agent/Engineer that comes to Winterings in fictional Skewdale.

Word in (what remains of) the family is that the central character of Adam Brunskill is in ways based upon Francis Taylor of Blades (b. 1812) who was a mining agent for the Old Gang Mines: and that Skewdale is based upon Swaledale and the area around Gunnerside.

Whether this is the case or not I wouldn't like to say but there are some similarities in the book and there are some Brunskills in our family lineage so this lends some support to the claim.

I'm pleased to have a copy of the book and it makes good reading regardless of the claim. It's obviously long out of print although there are a few copies available on the net it seems.

I was wondering though if anyone out there knew anything more about the book, the author on anything related? Does anyone know if the author stayed locally to research the novel, or does anyone feel it's unlikely?

Cheers
"...for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction..." - don't ask, I just like that bit from schoolroom physics.
Dave Reynolds

Postby TraceyHope » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:56 pm

I read your post with interest. Unfortunately, I don't think I can help you but I have an idea of someone who might have information. Have you tried speaking to the curator of the Reeth museum? She is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I am reading Adam Brunskill at the moment; my husband bought me a copy recently. I have been writing about the lead mining industry around Gunnerside and so the book is fascinating.

Your post is old but I hope you get this.

Tracey
TraceyHope

Postby PERCE » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 am

Thomas Armstrong lived at Lawn House.
PERCE
Forum Regular

Re: Adam Brunskill - a book by Thomas Armstrong

Postby Angie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

My father came from Grinton. He said Thomas Armstrong came from Swaledale. He had his books & rated them.
Angie

Re: Adam Brunskill - a book by Thomas Armstrong

Postby kay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Dave,

I have recently been researching Thomas Armstrong on the internet. There seems to be very little information available, I managed to get a list of his books and have bought a copy of "The Crowthers Of Bamkdam" on DVD

As a child I lived at Low Houses, Low Row and Thomas Armstrong lived next door in Lawn House. Both himself and his wife Dulce lead a very quiet life. Mr Armstrong did not give interviews and xxxxx very little.

Kay Kendall.
kay

Return to Main Forum