Ralph Milner - Muker

Post questions and answers here

Ralph Milner - Muker

Postby Carol Clarke » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:08 pm

I have been researching Ralph Milner from Muker and wondered if anyone else was interested in the same. Ralph came to live in Elland, West Yorkshire in the early 1800's, he was born in Muker, I have found a marriage record which stated he was a Yeoman from Ramps Holme.

Any comments or contact from other interested people would be appreciated.
Carol Clarke
West Yorkshire
Carol Clarke

Postby anne m » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:16 pm

I'm also researching Milners in the swaledale area, though as yet have no connections with a Ralph apart from the fact that there is a Thomas, who might be the Thomas I'm looking for, who is registered as the son of Ralph in 1805. It seems that this Ralph was a joiner, though my Thomas was a miner/collier and moved to Blackrod in Lancashire when the lead mining in Swaledale started to fail. I just know the he was in Gunnerside before Blackrod.
anne m
Forum Regular

Milners of Swaledale

Postby Stubbsy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:35 am

Hi, I too am trying to research my Milner background in Swaledale. My grandfather William Milner left Swaledale with his family in the late 19thC to farm in Durham.

Originally the family lived in the Thwaite, Muker, Keld, Low Green area. I believe at one time the Milners were a large Swaledale clan.

Any help and info would be appreciated.

John Milner Stubbs
Stubbsy
Forum Regular

Milners of Swaledale

Postby Stubbsy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:02 pm

I have just found out that my great grandfather James Milner was born at Keld in 1846. His wife Elizabeth was born at Muker also in 1846.

Anyone have any further info?
Stubbsy
Forum Regular

Milner Family

Postby Carol Herbert » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 pm

I too have Milners in my family. We have a George Milner who was born in 1845 in Bainbridge, Wensleydale, he married gt gt aunt Jane Pratt in 1867 in Grinton, living in Gunnerside for the rest of his life, he died in 1929. George was a Stonemason and known locally as Big Geordie he was 6' 6'' tall. Any chance that we link up?

Carol Herbert
Carol Herbert
Forum Regular

Postby Stubbsy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:30 pm

The Milners were a large Swaledale clan. Milner was often miss-spelled, usually "Miller", in census records.

John Millner (29) married Phillis Calvert (32) at Grinton or ?Grunton? on 2nd February 1656. We even know the witnesses were Christopher Millner, Alexander Metcalfe, Abraham Prate (Pratt?) and Edmond Millner. We also know that a John Milner of Muker had a daughter Jane born c.1691 who married John Kearton born 1697 of Thwaite, on the 19th April 1719 at Muker.

In 1810 my great, great, great grandfather James Milner married Elizabeth Kearton at Muker. The witnesses were Thomas Raw and Foster Kearton. James was a miner, he and Elizabeth lived at Thwaite. He had a son (1822) and grandson (1846) both called James. They all lived around Keld. The youngest James married Elizabeth Harker and left for Weardale.

At least 2 families in Keld had a George Milner as their head but the name doesn't seem to occur in my line. They were stonemasons so that fits, and I believe they left the dale for Weardale and Shildon in Durham.

In 1861 there were 27 Milners living in or around Keld. 10 years later there were none.
Stubbsy
Forum Regular

George Milner of Gunnerside

Postby Carol Herbert » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Stubbsy,
Thanks, I was fascinated by the early Milner Family History. I'll keep your message on file as one never knows there may be an earlier link one day.
Carol
Carol Herbert
Forum Regular

Postby Stubbsy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:18 pm

In the 1861 Census there were nearly 30 Milners in the village of Keld - plus their various cousins and in-laws.
By 1871 they had all gone.
Stubbsy
Forum Regular

Ralph & Joseph MILNER of Muker

Postby mre » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Hello,

I am searching for information on a Ralph MILNER who had a son Joseph about 1757 in Mucker. Joseph married Ann Walton. Joseph and Ann had a son Ralph born about 1791 and later a dau Margaret who was baptised in Bishopwearmouth, Co. Durham.

Any information gratefully received,
Regards,
Mark.
mre

Milner Ancestors

Postby wifey » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:03 am

Hi I have just discovered some Milner ancestors also from Muker, we have Ralph Milner (birth unknown) father of Ralph born 1705 but no spouse so no idea who Ralph jnr's mother was at the moment. I may have found a few possible siblings in the free database on www.familysearch.org
P007761 is the batch number for Muker Milner baptisms/christenings.
M007761 it seems is the batch number for Milner marriages in Muker.
There are lots of Milners listed in Muker going back to the 1600s if anyone else is interested on chasing up a few missing ancestors.
Ralph Jnr looks to have been married to Elizabeth Harker in 1731 and their children seem to be as follows:-
(not certain on this one) John Milner born 1729 Muker,
Ralph Milner born 1734 Muker,
Edward Milner born 1737 Muker,
Alice Milner born 1740 Muker,
William Milner born 1742 Muker,
Margaret Milner born 1745 Muker,
Christopher Milner born 1749. :wink:
wifey
Forum Regular

Return to Main Forum