Frost search - start with Gravestones?

Post questions and answers here

Frost search - start with Gravestones?

Postby Bill Frost » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:01 pm

I am trying to take the next step in the search for FROST's who were resident in Low Row/Feetham 1840-1880 ? Looks like they were all Miners. All I have to go on is internet available data (like this great site!) so once Ive exhausted the census for the times I'm pretty much out of luck.

Is there any way I can get a listing of graves/memorials in the LowRow/Feetham chapels/churches?

Is thare a better way to get this info without flying over from Cincinnati and looking in person? It's not that I'm lazy, just trying to get the most info that I can before I bring the family over.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bill
Thanks... Bill
Bill Frost

Frosts on Gravestones

Postby MAB » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:32 pm

I have lists of the Monumental Inscriptions for Reeth Congregational Chapel: St. Andrew's, Grinton; & Gunnerside Methodist Chapel. I have searched but I am afraid there do not seem to be any Frost's.
Sorry.
MAB
Forum Regular

Re: Frosts on Gravestones

Postby Bill Frost » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:00 pm

Thats great info...

Which Churches/Chapels in the Low Row area does that leave (ones that have a graveyard)... Maybe I should write to them....
Thanks... Bill
Bill Frost

Postby MAB » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:00 pm

I am sure others are better informed than me, but The old Methodist Chapel has a graveyard in Low Row. It is on a steep bankside. My uncle and aunt are buried there. If you follow the links from this site there are some pictues on Genuki. You can see the burial ground stretching up behind.

Have a look at the other links from this Gunnerside site and you will see the Low Row United Reformed Church site complete with e-mail link. I think this used to be the congrgational church but I might be wrong.

Unfortunately I don't think the MI's have been recorded and published yet for the Low Row chapels. If anybody knows better please do let me know!!

Also if you follow the Upper Dales FHG link, they may be able to help you further.

Happy hunting
MAB
Forum Regular

Thanks !!!

Postby Bill Frost » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:59 pm

Thankyou... I will check this out.. Youve been a great help.... Merry Xmas... Bill :)
Thanks... Bill
Bill Frost

Reeth CC et al

Postby Suzy-in-the-Skye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 pm

MAB wrote:I have lists of the Monumental Inscriptions for Reeth Congregational Chapel: St. Andrew's, Grinton; & Gunnerside Methodist Chapel. I have searched but I am afraid there do not seem to be any Frost's.
Sorry.

HI there, I was just looking at the old messages & saw your reply - as above - to a previous enquiry. I was wondering if you could kindly look-up a surname in your MI lists for me please.
My family name is GATISS but is also seen as GATIS/GATESS/GATES & a few strange spellings too. They are actually from Co. Durham & Northumberland originally but one man ventured south into N.Yks late 18th century & stayed until 1842.
The family briefly lived in Feetham/Reeth & Grinton areas before emigrating to the USA in 1842. I suspect he was a lead miner. Whilst I have found just a few BMD's at St. Andrew Grinton, I do have some members baptisms etc missing & I think they could have been
baptised/buried in one of the local chapels rather than the CofE church.
In particular I am looking for baptisms of -
John Hurst Gatiss b.07.05.1827 & William Gatiss b. 01.11.1829. John was certainly born in Feetham - but not sure about William. Their dob are per the family bible of JHG.
I would be most interested to know if you can throw any light on these two men.
With best regards, yours faithfully, Suzy.
Suzy-in-the-Skye

Return to Main Forum