Gunnerside Church Records

Post questions and answers here

Postby MatthewW » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:05 pm

I am researching the Metcalfs who left Gunnerside in the 1840's and went to Wisconsin/Iowa. My question is where would the church records be for the Methodist Church in Gunnerside, or other Churches which would have preceded the Methodist Chapel there?

I had an older distant cousin who wrote for information in the 1960s and the pastor's wife kindly looked up some information and passed it on, but somewhere along the way she was looking for the wrong name in one of the generations. I have the correct name, and am wondering where one would look for the records.

Some of the names were before the start of "Methodism," and I am not sure where she would have gotten that information.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a great website!
Matthew
MatthewW

Postby anne m » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:28 am

Matthew
You may have seen my message, but in case not, I am also researching records from the weslyan chapel in Gunnerside. It turns out that the earliest records are at the PRO in London, (presumably the one in Myddleton St, EC1R 1UW.) while later ones are at the North Yorks Record Office in Northallerton. I assume that the records went to London when the chapel was rebuilt in the mid nineteenth century.
Anne
anne m
Forum Regular

Postby MAB » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:49 pm

I have copies of the Gunnerside Records from 1802 to 1837. If you would like me to do a look up please contact me with details and I will see what I can find.
I am away from home for a week from friday so please forgive if I do not reply immediately.
MAB
Forum Regular

Return to Main Forum