Smarber Church/Chapel

Post questions and answers here

Smarber Church/Chapel

Postby SamEeles » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out locating the old Smarber Church/Chapel?

I have been visiting the dale and specifically the Gunnerside area quite a bit in the last month, while trying to fill some time between finishing my degree and starting my job. There are a few things I have been looking for that I can't find, the main thing being the Smarber Chapel/Church. I know it is a building without a roof with walls going up to about chest height and that one service is still held there a year.

I know where Smarber is as its where my 4th Great Grandfather was from and I have managed to locate the 3 dwellings there (Smarber Cottage, High Smarber and the other one which the name of escapes me). Does anyone know where in relation to this the chapel/church is located? I tried to find it last Sunday but if you remember the weather was awful and I had to turn back. Is it to the east of Smarber towards Low Row? There are two possible locations I may have glanced over in the past one of which is that bend in the road that leads up to Blades from Low Row, there appears to be something that would be about the size of the chapel/church almost connected to the garden of the cottage that is in the tight turn on that road. However I have thought it is too close to that house and also not close enough to Smarber. The other location I have only seen from Crackpot while taking a photo of Smarber from afar again to the the east there seems to be a ruined building however it could just be a barn and too hard to see from that distance. If anyone could give me any information on its location that would be great. Or even if it is accessible by road? I know there is a road to Smarber but it is not on any maps so I didn't like to drive it incase it was private land.

Thanks in advance

Sam Eeles
SamEeles

Re: Smarber Church/Chapel

Postby SamEeles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 am

If anyone is every interested in this I have found it on Google Maps using the satellite feature. It is at long and lat: 54.373628 -2.043683 . The annoying thing is I have lent against the building next to it for a drink before never thinking to look around the other side. If you follow the path up after the gap in the wall just after Rowleth Wath it is the building at the top. I think I will go tomorrow and take some photos. If anyone would like to see them let me know and I will put them up if that's allowed?

Cheers

Sam Eeles
SamEeles

Postby n parker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:32 am

You can post up on the photo identification forum.
n parker

Postby SamEeles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

It's ok I don't need it identifying, but I do now have some photos of the church is anyone is interested in the future.

Cheers
SamEeles

Return to Main Forum