Being green

Gunnerside information

Being green

Postby Sally » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Hello!

I'm coming up to Gunnerside in a couple of weeks and wondered what recycling facilities there are in the village. I really don't want to have to put cans/glass/paper into the normal rubbish. And if I bring composting bags for fruit and veg debris is there anywhere to compost them?!

Thanks

Sally
Sally

Postby admin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Sally,

In answer to your query a very helpful Gunnerside resident explains...

As from last week, we are under a new rubbish regime. The village has just been invaded by wheelie bins, green and black; boxes for cans, plastic and glass; and blue bags for recycled paper. However, these are collected only at fortnightly intervals (black wheely bins one Friday, the whole range of recycling containers the next Friday), so if your correspondent is only here for a week, she might not coincide with an appropriate collection.

It depends also where she is staying. Second homes seem to have received the wheely bins etc, but holiday cottages (defined as businesses) have special arrangements (orange bags, I think) which are collected separately.

Frankly, the most sensible thing for a short term visitor to do is to take their rubbish and recycling home, or to use the basic recycling facilities (paper, glass, cans but not plastic) at Reeth.

I hope this answers your question. Have a good visit.

Many thanks to David for the information.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Gunnerside Local