|The tiny hamlet of
Satron ('saetr' - summer pasture) is encountered on the B6270 approximately
half a mile west of Gunnerside's New Bridge.
Edmund Cooper in Men of Swaledale
mentions that '...one George Clarkson held a tenement [here] in 1547
along with Thos. Clarkson and James Clarkson, Junior.'
Joseph Clarkson (1690-1786), an early Satron entrepreneur, kept an
account book of his transactions which provides a valuable insight
into the costs of living in Swaledale in the 18th century.
Satron postcard 1944
Satron & Ivelet postcard 1955